Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy July, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary...

I took Daphne to her first parade on the 4th of July. I went with my family to the Murray parade which she loved with the clowns, fun stuff, thrown candy, and people clapping. We took her to the Murray fireworks later that night and she was so mesmerized at them and kept clapping all over the place.
It was Ryan's birthday on July 14th, and he went flying with Super Dell. He is in front here and had a great ride. They flew over the lake everywhere and went up and down, I watched from below and I never would have done it, but Ryan got off exclaiming how cool it was and how rollercoasters are nothing now. Good for him. Also on his birthday, we longboarded Provo Canyon, which was really fun and when we got to the bottom, I had wished we would have started farther up. For his birthday, I gave him Blink 182 tickets.

Later that night, Ryan was sorry he had to go home and go to bed for work, because I went to Jill's party for the Harry Potter midnight showing. Jill threw an absolute brilliant party complete with gift bags of candy and bottles of Felix Felicis. When we got to Jordan Commons, it was Potter mania: awesome! I loved the movie, but of course, the 6th book is my favorite of the series.
On July 18-19, we went down to Bryce Canyon for me to run the half marathon. It was at 6am and right before the race, I ate a protein bar and a mile into the race it caught up with me. Holy cow, it gave me the worst stomach ache and I ran the whole rest of the race almost bent over double with stomach pain. I looked up my official time and still managed to scrape a good time of 2:11, but it was all downhill and should've been easily handled in under 2 hours. I was extremely disappointed with myself, but proud I had at least finished the race and not given up. After the race, I continued to feel sick, but eventually got better enough to visit the park and enjoy the rest of the weekend. I guess I will have to try again someday.
I just love this photo of Daphne, with her curls flipping out and the expression on her face; it is priceless!
We stayed at Snowbird from August 2-5 to celebrate everything. It was such a relaxing vacation that wasn't far away, but felt a world away. We didn't have an agenda, and it felt nice to just sit and enjoy the scenery. We would hang out at the pool and Daphne loved this corner of the hot tub to soak her legs and rest her arm.
The chickadee lift was free, since they use it for summer activities, so we rode it a few times and would just walk down. Daphne loved the lift ride and would look around at the whole scene.
August 4 was Daphne's first birthday, and it was so fun. We had a polka dot dress for her, with these ears, and a polka dot cake that we had made for her. Oh it was so beautiful, I don't have a good picture of it, but it was awesome! We had a party for her at the playground at Snowbird which was just perfect for a party. She got so embarrased when we sung happy birthday to her and tried to hide her head, but when it was cake time, she was all over that. We then tried to get her to open some of her presents, but the overwhelming feeling was still with her and mom and dad had to step in and take over present patrol. Daphne got really cool things for her birthday and has been playing with all her toys ever since. Thanks everyone!
We had a pinata for her, and she took a couple swings, but Daphne's boy cousins were pretty good about stepping in and finishing it off for her. It was cute, and she left her party very tired and satisfied. Apparantly, she was singing all the way to Ryan's parents that night. The next day (picture on our bikes forgotten in the reel of pictures to upload) Ryan and I had breakfast at the Atrium and then mountain biked down the mountain from the tram. That was so fun, but fast, I'd wished we had more tram rides. After, we laid by the pool for a while and then got ready for a surprise dinner. Ryan took me to La Caille, which was very awesome for dinner. They gave us free dessert and a firework with tuxedo strawberries because they knew it was our anniversary. So what if the check was 2 weeks worth of groceries? I enjoyed the moment of our golden anniversary (5 years on the 5th) and Ryan gave me a tennis bracelet. Funny story though about the morning at breakfast: We were sitting by the window looking at this bird foraging for food on the ground. After a moment a chipmonk and a small bird join the area on the ground. Ryan says to me "Look, it's like the mommy bird and the Daphne bird looking for food together. How cute." All of a sudden, the chipmonk lunges at the little baby bird and kills him in one stroke and then starts to eat it. I had a stunned picture on my face as Ryan tried to cover up the scene. "Oh, that wasn't a Daphne bird, that was something else..." Futile efforts, Ryan. What an analogy, to say the baby bird is like Daphne and then it gets eaten?
So, right after dinner at La Caille, we rushed home and went to bed so I could get up and go to girl's camp the next morning. I am the camp director in my ward and I love it. I love going to camp and getting to know the girls and seeing their testimonies grow from camp. It is always a lot of planning, but I enjoy it. This year, we went to a campground up Ephraim canyon and it was beautiful with the mountains and a small lake. It was only 2 nights, so we had a lot to cram in. We had the girls make flip flops and nine men's morris games, and did our hikes as well as teambuilding activities such as the egg drop, the amoeba game, and the cardboard game. The girls had a great time, and I received the best compliment from the stake saying that "hands down, we were the best ward, with the best activities, and the most frugal." Awesome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that Ryan tried to change that baby bird story around. That's a horrible story, yet still quite funny. Daphne would never get eaten Audrey she is way too cute!!! Kisses for the baby!!! Also that picture of her in the pool is so cute! She is turning into such a big kid.

Ashley said...

Your baby is really one?!?! Wow I cannot believe it was that long ago...It doesn't seem like over a year ago when you were posting pictures of the cute nursery getting ready for her to come. CRAZY!

jill said...

what a fun past few weeks!! Glad girls camp turned out well and who ever heard of a chipmonk eating a bird. werid!!

MC Lewis said...

Audrey, it looks like you guys are keeping yourself busy! You have had some fun stuff planned! We arent making a trip up to Utah for a while (I think, we always say that, but somehow something always comes up). However if we do we will let you know. If you ever want a place to stay in Vegas you got one!!

Aftansita said...

That was Awesome! She looks so big for only being one. You guys have so much fun :)