Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My new lifestyle

After learning a lot about where our food, fur, and products come from, I have had a real change of heart.  I really just feel like writing about this because it has affected me so deeply.  I saw videos of things done to animals that just made me cry so hard I couldn't take it.  I am such a true animal lover, as most people who know me, this is obvious.  Not only animals, but children too.  Becoming a mom has heightened my sensitivity to things on the news involving children, such as the case of the mom on drugs who kidnapped her 2 month old and took her across a whole bunch of states. Daphne was the same age at that time- 2 months old.  
I love animals so much I wish I could prevent all abuse everywhere.  Someday I want to take a compassionate volunteer vacation to help children and animals.  I wish I could be there in China to stop the skinning of live animals for cheap fur products.  I wish I could give every farm animal a bit more space and a more humane way to become meat.  I wish I could save unwanted children from uncaring or abusive parents.  I wish I could save unwanted babies from abortion and get them born and adopted to a family.  I feel so powerless to do anything except give what little means I can to their cause (which have been 8 different charities regularly).   
I just have so many emotions, and it is very uncharacteristic for me to share these on the internet, but I have never felt so strong about any cause.  And this is not a way for me to try and persuade everyone to feel or act the same way.  I just want to share how I feel.  After seeing and reading many things, 3 months ago I made a promise to never eat a mammal again, and it has been surprisingly easy to stick to it.  I am not completely vegetarian yet, because I still eat chicken and turkey sparingly, but someday I will phase even that out.  It's not that I opposed to eating meat in moderation, it's the fact of where it came from and how it was treated.  I have learned so much about factory farming, the effects of the animals on the earth, and the health benefts.  I have always tried (before it was popular) to go green when possible.  I know it is too idealistic to think of a world holding hands and singing Kumbaya, but darn it, I am going to try and leave a better footprint.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Good luck girl! That is a tougher change then you think. I do however have to mention that I find being a complete animal appreciationist and a totally "GO Green" person is contradicting in itself when it comes to the usage of fabrics and such. Most people don't realize it though. We live here next to the largest butcher plant in the nation Hormel. I have learned a lot about it. I am happy to say that they have very high standards when it comes to the treatment and respect of the pig which in turn allows me to feel confident in eating and buying hormel swine products. I do know however that there are plenty of over seas places that like you said are just not so nice. It makes me sad too I LOVE animals as well. Before this pregnancy I chose to start living a lifestyle called semi-vegetarian (similar to what you are doing now actually). I struggle with it during pregnancy as my need for protein is substantial haha!! But I want to go right back to it again afterwards. I forgot that your hubby was a Star Trek fan too..What did you guys think of the new movie?

MC Lewis said...

So I think we are going up to Utah for Tyler Margetts wedding the weekend of the 20th.....you could do a get together then?? We understand if that doesnt work.

Jay said...

you go girl! I couldnt do it. but i think its cool you are.

tothe4thfloor said...

I totally understand. Ever since moving to California where everyone is extremely health/environment mindful I have slowly moved that way too. We eat basically all organic and once a week we do a meatless Monday for dinners. I haven't bought beef in forever, we eat ground turkey instead. I don't think I could ever give up meat completely but I just make wise choices. Like you said...I may not change the world but a little bit should help right?!

Ashlee Garn said...

I have to ditto the above comment, "YOU GO GIRL, I couldn't do it, but good for you!" Sad how inhumane people are!

Aftansita said...

:( I am right there with ya girl. The children not so much..jk but I love animals and it does suck you can't just stop bad things from happening to all. enjoyed reading this blog.